Monday, October 12, 2015

Writing about Suicide


My 5th grade teacher committed suicide. I never really thought much about it, but after reading this essay, I can see how a class like “Literary Suicide” would appeal to students. Just like this class! There are students who have had experience with traumatic life events, and others not so much. But even those who didn’t, still manage to make a connection. We’re human after all, it’s what we do. As Jon wrote in his diary, “While I recognize the risk of comparing our experiences to the terrible struggle of someone considering suicide, I can’t avoid thinking how similar our worlds are.” (295) 

Jon didn’t know anyone who committed suicide, nor has he ever had suicidal thoughts, but he still managed to come out of the class with a cured mind. Jon is a good example of someone who doesn’t necessarily need to heal through writing, but relates to it in a way that changes him (my experience in this class). Then there are those like the female student mentioned on page 307—she revealed her experience with sexual abuse in the diaries, and left the class seeking therapy. This class is solid proof of just how effective writing and healing can be! 

What’s more, it shows how willing people can be when sharing their personal accounts on traumatic subjects. Almost every student gave Berman permission to have their diary read allowed. I think it helped that Berman kept the reader anonymous. Hmm…makes me wonder then why someone people would want to stay anonymous while others have their names attached to their writing. I guess there’s a feeling safety and mystery when a writer is incognito. When I personally read or hear writing with no author identified, I feel more connect for some odd reason. Maybe it’s because names are arbitrary when it comes to the actual healing process. 

Jon uses the word “distance intimacy” to describe the sensation of having one’s work read anonymously. I think we should do something similar in class. Have us all write a personal response to some topic and have it read allowed in class anonymously. I feel like it would make the class more connected. 


What really struck me in the reading was Jon’s 6th diary entry where the most memorable diary entry read in class was his own. It’s neat to have your words read by someone else and have people listen to your words. In an analysis of that diary entry Jon says, “I sometimes felt as if I were them.” Just shows that we’re all staring in the same movie. We might think we’re all unique and individual, but we’re actually very much the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment