Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Micro-essay: Competition



Jordan invited me to his place for a Campus Center party he was throwing. We already hooked up a couple of times and already declared that we really like each other, so we were borderline dating, but not quite there yet. I took it as a test—a test to show him that I could go to a party with him and not cling on to his arm the whole night. The last thing I wanted was to be needy or attached. 

So I drank, smoked, danced—the whole nine yards. From time to time I’d walk up to Jordan and talk to him and his Campus Center friends, showing that I can be a social butterfly without making things awkward. 

At one point, there was a flip cup game going on and one of my friends forced me to play. Funny enough, Jordan was across the table from me, meaning we were against each other. So we had a bit a flirty competition. 

But then came the REAL competition. After the game, I went out on the front porch and had a casual convo with Jordan and his friends again. Suddenly a girl stumbled out and wrapped her arms around Jordan’s neck and whispered in his ear. I stared at him, waiting for Jordan to remove her arms…he didn’t. I played it cool, knowing that he wouldn’t do anything because he was technically with me.

I never had the urge to claw her eyes out or rip the hair from her scalp. I knew she was drunk and I knew she didn’t know that Jordan and I were a “thing.” If anything, it was amusing to watch her make all these moves with no reaction. But I eventually got fed up and I went back inside, continuing with the festivities. 

And before I knew it, everyone was gone and it was just me and Jordan.

                                              ***

A couple weeks later Jordan invited me to eat dinner with him at Campus Center. While I nibbled on my grilled cheese sandwich, and he devoured a plate of brussels sprouts, I saw her. We made eye contact and she gave me a glare I’ve never received before. This chick was bad news.
                                              ***

The following weeks we’d cross paths on our way to class and she continued to give me the stank face. 

                                              ***
Just a few days ago, my friend Lilly texted me saying, “I have to talk to you about Jordan…” I was confused since Lilly had never met Jordan, only heard about him through girl talk. 

“What about him?” I responded.

“He works with a girl I know, and she was talking to me about you and Jordan. She said stuff about him…”

“Bad stuff?” I asked. At this point, Jordan and I have already discussed our relationship status, agreeing that we’ll declare boyfriend and girlfriend-dome when we’re both ready. We’re still getting to know each other and don’t want to dive into something too serious too soon. 

“Yes and no,” she texted. “First, she said she’s gonna bang him…Second, he’s talked about you to her saying that he doesn’t want a relationship and that he thinks you’re too attached to him.” Here is where my face went red. Why was this girl (who doesn’t even know me) saying things completely untrue? Did she have some diabolical plan in mind? Is she going to seduce Jordan? Tell lies about me to him? 

I thought I had already left the drama of junior, sophomore, and freshmen year, but I guess not. 

“She could be lying,” Lily said. “But they work together and you’re my friend and I don’t want this jerk breaking your heart.” I appreciated Lilly looking out for me, but she’s never seen Jordan and I in limelight. He rubs my butt in public for goodness sake, how in “like” with me could he be? I rationalized the situation, telling myself that everything this girl is saying thwarts Jordan’s actions. I wasn’t attached, I’d always have him initiate texts conversations. In fact, he was the one that brought up our relationship status asking, “Am I your boyfriend?” 

It just didn’t make sense. This chick was lying. This chick was threatened and was out to get me. 

“They haven’t don't anything, but she says she wants to,” Lily continued. 

“I’m pretty sure she’s just jealous.” I said. I knew this was all a blip, but for the next few days I couldn’t get this girl out of my mind. I was too scared to confront Jordan about it. I didn’t want to come off as the jealous, dramatic type because I’m not.

I kept asking myself, why? Just why? Why does this girl want to compete for sex with Jordan? Why is she even trying? She probably knows that Jordan and I are very much in a relationship. Maybe it’s just that she has a competitive nature.

I don’t. I have no desire to play tug of war with her. He’s mine, I’m his, it’s evident.

I’ll admit, she’s a beautiful girl. She could get any guy she wants, but she choses to go for the guy who’s already dating someone. What sucks about the whole situation is that I’m involved in this competition without wanting to be in it. It’s like I have no choice. 

And the more I analyze the situation, the more I want to do something about it. 


Maybe I’ll go to the sex shop and buy some rope and handcuffs. If this girl wants to play rough, then so be it. Jordan is mine and I’ll put him on a leash if I have to…

No comments:

Post a Comment